Founded in 2019, Bare Native are a sustainable beauty brand based on the shores of Mersea Island. Our annual competition will capture the quintessential beauty of Mersea, whilst engaging the community to support the work of emerging and amateur photographers.
Bare Native of Mersea Island are pleased to offer a unique, visual celebration of Mersea life. This annual competition will celebrate Mersea’s unique shorelines, diverse wildlife, endearing local spirit and magical horizons.
There are five categories covering: Natural Vistas, Historical Snapshots, Poignant Portraits, Out on the Water and Lockdown Memories. Let the creative juices flow to capture some of the special aspects of Mersea life.
Exploring our surroundings and documenting our daily lives has become the norm during a tumultuous year. We want to encourage all photographers around the country to showcase the beauty they have experienced on Mersea. This is an opportunity for the community to come together, enjoy the creativity of talented photographers and celebrate them.
- Showcase contemporary and imaginative images that capture the essence and spirit of Mersea life.
- Celebrate the beauty and community of Mersea Island through a series of amateur photographic images.
- To bring the community together so we can celebrate one another and our achievements.
- Record interesting and meaningful aspects of our daily lives, from the big to the small.
Mersea is in abundance of natural vistas, from colourful sunsets to flocks of migrating birds. Within this category we want to see the individual ways you can capture anything falling under the category of nature.
Celebrating the rich historic life of Mersea before 1999. Whether you captured a past Mersea event, an essence of 20th century Mersea life or the changing landscape of the island, let’s celebrate our past.
The faces of Mersea: portraits of any age that capture character, spirit and soul. This includes the furry residents and visitors to Mersea.
Out on the Water
The charm of Mersea lies in its waters. The tidal coastline, shaping our landscape through the seasons. Boats, marshes, sea life, fishermen and water sport enthusiasts are plentiful in Mersea waters all year long.
Paying tribute to a year that has been full of trials and tribulations. We want to embrace the challenges and joys from the many lockdowns we have faced.
Following the submission deadline, the judging panel will choose their top five from each category and their overall winner. The entries from those shortlisted will be published in Mersea Life’s August issue. Following a public vote, we will have our individual category winners. Our overall winners and category winners will be published in Mersea Life’s September issue, with the Mersea Island Amateur Photographer of the year gracing the front cover. Please follow the submission details below to enter your creative works:
- Include a short description, title and year for your photo(s)
- Include your name and a short paragraph to introduce yourself
- Images should be submitted in a high resolution, a minimum of 300 DPI
- Sizing – Square: 1200 x 1200, Portrait: 1200 x 800, Landscape: 1600 x 1200
- The deadline for all entries is 23:59 on Saturday 17th July 2021